Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How to make a fútbol

I learned how to make a soccer ball yesterday. Yes, and my schooling did not come from Discovery channel’s How it’s Made, but from the vibrant streets of Montevideo.

My Uruguayan Culture class spent Tuesday afternoon walking the streets of a historic section of the city, and visiting museums and churches. When three friends and I had received all the “culture” we could withstand, we split. We walked 3 blocks to a lively plaza, bought ice cream and rested on a bench to talk. It was after this ice cream break and a little shopping that I found myself comfortably alone. I opted to stay in Ciudad Vieja instead of returning to Grandma’s apartment. I wandered to Plaza de Cagancha; it was there that I learned how to make a soccer ball.

I was sitting and writing 2 benches away from whom appeared to be three homeless siblings, two brothers and a sister. The oldest brother, whom throughout our interaction gained my respect, began constructing a soccer ball at the request of his younger brother. His materials included a plastic grocery bag and an old book. He was ripping the pages from the book, crumpling them up and stuffing them into the plastic bag. He packed the scrunched up pages very tightly into the small grocery bag, tied it shut and melted the plastic with a lighter to seal it. Meanwhile the younger brother was hunting for other plastic bags in the nearby trashcans. He returned after a few minutes, running and waving the bag over his head. The older brother placed the soccer ball inside the plastic bag, tied it and sealed it shut. They wrapped it and sealed it once more before the soccer ball was complete.

To my amazement, their technique worked marvelously. As I continued writing, they tested out their creation in front of me. I wanted so badly to ask them if I could join them in their game, but I chickened out when I saw how good they were. Nevertheless, I loved watching their game and was encouraged by their brotherly interaction.

This week I am going to try to make a soccer ball.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you it was a wonderful guide, now to make a fútbol is simple with your guidance. Kudos

    ReplyDelete