Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cabo Polonio

Friday and Saturday I was in Cabo Polonio, one of the most beautiful, tranquil places in Uruguay. To reach Cabo Polonio, it is necessary to backpack the 7km from the closest highway or catch a ride on the Jurassic Park 4WD trucks that make the trip linking the village and the highway. I backpacked into Cabo along with 2 girls, while the other 2 girls went ahead to search for house to rent for the weekend.

We walked along the path that the trucks take, through the sand dunes and scrub and then along the beach for a few kilometers. Along the walk we met three sweet dogs that accompanied us for a while, a herd of cows and horses grazing. The latter groups did not accompany us like the dogs.

The village is settled on a point of land that juts into the ocean, complete with a lighthouse, sea lions, sand dunes, and a mix of natural rock pools and sandy beaches. The land is absolutely breath taking. There is a small cluster of buildings by the beach: a few places to eat, a market and two hostels, in addition to small houses scattered over the rocky, grassy knoll of the point. This town has no electricity, no regular running water (only what you pump), and no streets.

The stars are unbelievable; remember no light pollution!! Friday night, Ela and I slept outside on a large rock by the house. I feel asleep speechless, watching the stars and awoke to the sunrise and to the sound of sea lions barking. I was very content. While watching the sunrise over the ocean I was reading my Bible. Never has “the Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge…” ever had such meaning and significance to me than after spending a night on a rock.

For those of you that want to know what is going on in my head, here is a glimpse… I’ve been contemplating this idea anew. It was shared with me shortly before leaving for Uruguay. –If I know Jesus and I truly believe my relationship with Him is the foundation of my life and also the determinate of where I will spend eternity, (putting aside whether Jesus is ultimately real or not) how much do I have to hate you, really hate you, not to tell you about the opportunity of Jesus and life with him? For if I believe it to be true and I withhold information from you, I am withholding from you, what I believe to be the source of life.

Exciting news: I have a niece! My brother and sister-in-law now have a beautiful daughter named Lydia Corinne. It is going to be very difficult waiting until August to meet her.

Sad news: I haven’t had very much time to knit, Grandma hasn’t bought figs recently and summer is disappearing.

As I post this, Grandma and Joaquin, her 4yr old grandson, are playing the piano together.



























2 comments:

  1. ps.
    i'm glad we can challenge each other with the how much do i hate you statement... it is so powerful

    ReplyDelete
  2. erica, you are great.

    ReplyDelete