Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekend in Montevideo

This weekend I took a break from traveling and stayed in the city. What a beautiful decision! I hit up not one, but two massive ferrias. I hesitate to compare them to flea markets because they are spectacularly better. (I know it is hard to believe, but trust me.) Blocks and blocks of the city shut down completely to host more vendors than you can imagine. You are able to find all types of fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, as well as food in general, either to eat on the spot or buy grocery store style. There are sections of art, books, YARN, clothing, technology, antiques, jewelry, crafts, little trinkets, and more. The one I visited on Sunday covers more than 15km which makes it impossible to see everything. My friend and I went on to the 15km one on Sunday with a friend we met at church that morning. We succeeded in hunting for a novel we have to read for our literature class.

More tidbits of Uruguayan life…
1. Ice cream is eaten out cones, but one must always use a tiny spoon. On Wednesday, I ate an ice cream cone and I’m not sure the spoon made my experience any cleaner.
2. Grandma made spinach pie two times last week (4 meals total!). I conquered the spinach pie by: buying provolone cheese, melting it over the pie and drinking a lot of water.
3. I now have some Uruguayan friends. Holla
4. I attended a soccer game Saturday night during a thunderstorm. I’ve never been so completely soaked in my life. When it would thunder, the crowd would cheer louder so the officials couldn’t hear the thunder. (Thunder and lightning = a postponed game)
5. Big news! Montevideo is hosting a World Cup qualifier game between Uruguay and Paraguay. I will for sure be in attendance!
6. I have never liked tomatoes. This weekend Grandpa and Grandma made a dish that consisted of fresh whole tomatoes stuffed with a mixture of rice and either ham or tuna. I ate 4 whole tomatoes in one day. I haven’t converted, but a girl has to eat.
7. Grandpa and Grandma are on a date tonight-they saw a movie. It’s precious. I love it.

Upcoming plans…

Weekend includes a possible trip to Cabo Polonio, Rocha, and La Paloma

For Semana Santa (we have a week of vacation for Easter) some friends and I are traveling to Tierra del Fuego, the southern most tip of South America. It’s practically Antarctica :) We are also going to visit Iguazu Falls. Iguazu Falls, which ranks 9 among the world's top wonders, is where Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay meet.

¡Feliz día de San Patricio!

2 comments:

  1. the market sounds awesome. also very jealous of the trips you have planned for april. i love that you are taking advantage of every opportunity sister!! live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always eat spinach pie. i'm followin' you. don't make it weird.

    ReplyDelete