Monday, May 18, 2009

Gauchos and hypothermia

This is going to be short and sweet because I have schoolwork to do. But here are two small stories from this past weekend.

A friend and I went to a Uruguayan horse competition on Sunday and I had a billion flashbacks of when I was the one in the event. Dad, I took this video so you could enjoy what I was enjoying. The horses were beautiful and the different types of competitions very interesting.







In other news, 5 friends and I went on a day road trip and then camped in Treinta y Tres, a small town in the interior of Uruguay. We found a free place to camp Friday night, so we decided to make it a party by purchasing hot dogs and chorizos, a popular Uruguayan sausage. It was a struggle at first, but we eventually fed ourselves. I think one of the chorizos fell in the dirt 4 times. However, that was only the beginning of the adventure because we were very unprepared for how cold it was. Two girls slept in our rental car while three of us slept in a small tent. Even though we were cozily packed in the tent, we were too cold to sleep. Or I should say Molly and Brittany were too cold to sleep. I have a gift of being able to sleep almost in any conditions. At 3 am we gave up, packed up the tent and had the other two girls drive us to a bus stop. By 4:45 we were on a bus back to Montevideo. Each of us spent Saturday in recovery in our beds, trying to warm up. Whoever said Uruguay doesn't get cold was wrong. Now we know not to camp in May-without enough blankets and warm clothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment