Sunday, February 22, 2009

I dreamt I had a fro


I live with a grandma! And for all of you that are pondering, “Will this influence Erica to become more grandma-like?” The answer is yes, without a doubt. I will tell you a few stories about my first 2 days in Montevideo. I arrived to the apartment rather tired on Saturday around noon. Immediately Malena or as I refer to her, Grandma, asked me if I was hungry. I said not really and she proceeded to make me three large pieces of chicken and 2 baked potatoes. Let the grandma hospitality begin!


That day I unpacked, we each took a nap, we went for a short walk, ate ham and cheese sandwiches at a café, (I don’t think either of us were hungry, but we stopped because she was tired of walking.) took another nap, walked to the Super, rested again, ate dinner and went to bed. Throw in some knitting and chatting and you have grandma-style day.


The second morning I woke to the sound of rain and I was immediately shocked to discover I didn’t have a fro. The humidity makes my hair curlier and I think this provoked the fro dream. It rained steadily all day and so even though I was all rested I had another day of knitting, naps, reading and chatting with Grandma. I’m knitting a blanket because I’m over scarves and I don’t know how to knit anything else. How fitting that Grandma keeps referring to my blanket as a huge scarf. I need to look up the word for blanket.


Also today, a great mystery was solved. Throughout our conversations Grandma often spoke of her husband. It sounds terrible, but I could never understand whether he was alive or deceased. Well, he walked in the door today. Luis is his name. I think he works and lives somewhere else and she decided to live closer to her children and grandchildren. We’ll see if this proves to be true in the coming days. Who knows, maybe I will be living with two grandparents.



For those of you that have heard me speak of Gregory, he arrives tomorrow morning. He is another student and he will share the apartment with Grandma and I. I look forward to the company.



I decided to write tonight while I have time because I hope to do some serious city exploring with Gregory in the coming days. Carnaval is tomorrow and Tuesday!


Grace and Peace

1 comment: