Monday, June 29, 2009

sunshine and thunderstorms!


Saturday, after Grandma saw me walking about the apartment wearing my scarf wrapped tightly around my neck, she slid her rocking chair into the sunshine by the large window that overlooks the street below. Saturday was a gorgeous day with the sun shining like the world depended on it. So I studied the afternoon away rocking in the warm sunshine and watching the activity in the street below me. As I write this little update, I'm once again rocking in Grandma's chair by the front window, but this time to the sound of raindrops against the glass and cars splish splashing through puddles. Every so often I can watch the flashes of lightning reflecting on my computer screen. I think every time there was a thunderstorm at home, my mom would tell me to stay away from the big front window. Apparently, there is some danger in being too close to a window during a lightning storm. I'm not sure. Grandma hasn't called me stupid or warned me away from the large window here. Maybe the same rules don't apply here in Uruguay. I will let you know if anything happens.

Today marks the beginning of finals month at the university. 5 exciting, studies-filled days ahead of me then relaxation to follow. The week after I will be traveling in Buenos Aires with two friends from Mississippi and then heading to northern Argentina (Mendoza y Córdoba) for a few days to meet up with two different friends. After which I will be back in Montevideo for some time with my friends here, before I leave on the 24th. Oh how the time is flying!

Every Monday morning as I'm eating breakfast in the kitchen, Grandpa slips through the kitchen and out the door, mumbling a few good-byes and see you laters. A few weeks ago, Grandma shared the secret with me: Grandpa is taking computer classes. He doesn't like for it to be a big deal, and he still doesn't know that I know. But I can tell he likes them and is learning quite a big for a 70-something fellow. Just the other week when I was in the kitchen, I spied Grandpa on the computer showing Grandma what he had learned. She was ooo-ing and aaah-ing over what he had learned. It was cute.

That last rumble of thunder shook my heart I think, it felt like the bass you can feel at a concert. I like me a good storm!


Above are the kids that 3 friends and I worked with each Wednesday. We were helping them practice their English through songs, games and dances. Always a good time!

Cru friends after the graduation of Leticia (the one with the flower) I think Juan and Maycol fell over after pretending to propose to Leticia.

Besos


1 comment:

  1. Erica,
    I hope finals week is going well. I'll be praying for you! Enjoy some time relaxing after all of the hard work and have fun in Argentina!!
    Andrea Fox

    ReplyDelete